This vegan journey is treating us very good thus far. We have loved every single bite of this vegan lifestyle… going from snacks (such as fruits, raw vegetables (carrots, radishes, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, …) to nuts, dates, …) to lunch and dinner. But what we love the most has to be the green smoothie breakfast ritual, so fast, easy, fresh and delicious at the same time.
Next recipe we will share is from Top Chef host Padma Lakshmi. When we saw this recipe on her Facebook page a few weeks ago we knew we had to try this out! One thing is for sure… definitely worth it guys! The first bite we had in our mouth can’t be described, flavors of spiciness, sweetness and freshness in every single bite! Let us tell you a little secret, we even ended up licking our plates :p
This recipe isn’t slightly adapted to what I had in the fridge.
1 cup Black Puy lentils
2 large sweet potatoes
2-3 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 cup diced shallots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
2 red chilies
1 cube vegetable stock
1 tsp sambar curry powder (or madras)
1 can unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1. Boil 1 cup lentils for 25 minutes in 6 cups of salted water and bay leaves. Drain.
2. Boil 2 large sweet potatoes for 30 minutes, for medium sized ones. Peel and cut in chunks.
3. Heat oil on medium high. When hot sauté 1 cup diced shallots and fennel seeds.
4. After 1 minute, add the garlic, 1 cup diced celery, 1 cup diced carrots and 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger.
5. Then after 4 minutes, add 2 red chilies and 1 teaspoon sambar curry powder.
6. When veggies are browned, slowly add a can of unsweetened coconut milk and 1 cube of vegetable stock. Reduce heat to medium low. Stir and leave to simmer.
7. After 10 minutes add the lentils and sweet potatoes. Adjust for salt. Let simmer another 5 minutes and then remove from heat.
8. Add 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro and 1/4 cup fresh lime juice.
Enjoy your meal foodies! And please feel free to share your experiences!